Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What I did not get to say at the Philadelphia Geek Awards




This past Friday, me and my co-organizers of the Women in Tech Summit were fortunate enough to have been chosen the winners of the Event of the Year at the Geek Awards.  I honestly was not expecting to win.  I realized after we left the podium how much I did not get to say. I knew I should have written a few words down!

First, I forgot to wish my husband a Happy 22nd Anniversary.  Without him supporting all of the activities I am involved with in Phila., I do not think this or other events would happen. 

Next, I did not thank my co-organizers.  Gloria, Amy, Yasmine, Kimberly, Roz, and Pam took a chance on this idea of bringing all parts of the women in tech community together.  Creating an event that was a different direction than most women’s events out there was a challenge and a risk.  Their guidance and added vision made the event the success that it was.

Third, I did not thank my employer, Chariot Solutions, for encouraging and allowing me to work on these extracurricular projects.

Last, I want to recognize the Philly tech and startup community.  I believe the  reason we have been growing is due to the support we receive from everyone in the community.  I can't speak to other cities, but I do not see this concentrated activity anywhere else. This encouragement and help we receive allows each of us who is running these programs (Girl Develop IT, TechGirlz, Geek Girl Dinners and more) to further succeed in our missions.


No comments:

Post a Comment